Monday, May 04, 2009

Week 2 - High Dynamic Range (HDR)

I had a lot of fun working on this project this week. First I took three photos of the same scene. I shot one photo where the camera said to meter, then I under-exposed one shot and over-exposed the other shot. Then I downloaded the free DynamicPhoto trial program. With that program I combined the three images and added some filters. After all - if you're going to edit a photo on the computer you should go all the way and make it look really edited. See post above this one for photo information.




Here's the first one I did. I applied just the Eye-Catching filter to this one.





These two photos are the same except for the filters on them. The right one has the Eye-Catching filter and the left one has a high contrast filter. I liked parts of both of these so I then combined them together and got this


I also added the Eye-Catching filter to this one and burned the edges a little in Photoshop to give the pictures kind of a Holga camera look. Holga cameras are $20 film cameras with only three focus settings and two lighting settings (sun or shadow) The film they use is square rather than rectangle, but the edges go blurry and black. I just added the blackish corners to this photo so it's not a true Holga image, but it reminds me of it. I think this bottom image is my favorite.

5 comments:

beckysue said...

wow...I liked the last picture with the bridge. It looks like a picture from a magazine. Lots of great color contrasts...from the grass to the sky and the mountains. I am amazed...Good Job!!!!

Colby and Samantha said...

wow this picture is seriously amazing! it does not even look like the same shot as the one before the editing! Love it!

Unknown said...

That picture is so cool, it doesn't even look real! I really liked it and you did a great job!

Emily said...

This in an amazing photo! The contrast is incredible, and the clouds and mountains look great. Wow!

Caryn said...

Hi Stacy: You have some great photos and it is great to see more of your work. I am not sure why, but your images are all loading very slow, but maybe it is my connection right now? However I have not had the same problem with the other blogs I have been looking at. Be sure you size down your images according to the tutorial and save them for Web and Devices. I love your HDR sky and colors. Nice work on all of them!